Did you know that every second of every day, a senior suffers a fall somewhere in the United States? Worse yet, many of those falls cause difficult health issues for seniors, and can even result in death. It’s essential to do everything you can to avoid injuries when you’re in your golden years, and that’s why safety handrails for seniors are so important.
Safety Handrails for Seniors
Every second, a senior somewhere in America is experiencing a serious fall. Senior falls can lead to hip fractures, traumatic brain injuries, and other health problems that are difficult to recover from. That’s why it’s so important for your home or business to have the safety equipment that will keep seniors happy, healthy, and on their feet. The good news is that the most effective safety equipment isn’t expensive or complicated. Safety handrails for seniors are simple to install and extremely effective in preventing senior falls.
Why Are Handrails So Important for Seniors?
Handrails are important safety equipment for any home or business. Depending on where you are, they may even be required in your space. But aside from rules and regulations, there are several good reasons to install safety handrails for seniors:
- Safety handrails for seniors are proven to help prevent senior falls and injuries. In fact, safety handrails are one of the top recommendations for anyone trying to make a home or business senior-safe.
- Handrails do more than prevent falls. They’re also mobility aids for those who have movement issues, which is a common problem for seniors. A handrail can help any senior move confidently without anxiety.
- In some states, you can be found liable for an injury that happens on your property if it could have been prevented by a handrail. Handrails are not only good for seniors; they’re good for you, too.
What Should I Consider When Purchasing a Handrail?
Obviously, a handrail is a wise investment for anyone who lives or works with seniors. When it comes to safety handrails for seniors, here’s what we recommend you consider when making your purchase:
- Depending on where your handrail is being installed, you may be subject to Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations, which govern the placement and other aspects of the installation. Make your life easier by purchasing an ADA-compliant handrail kit. It has everything you need to install a handrail that will meet ADA standards and keep seniors safe, too.
- When you install your handrail, be sure to think about the seniors who are likely to use it, and consider how you can make that usage easier. For example, a good senior safety handrail will extend beyond the end of stairs to give a senior a chance to steady themselves. You can also consider installing handrails at multiple heights that can be useful for different mobility levels.
- Don’t neglect the other safety actions that can help seniors stay extra safe. Install lights on staircases whenever possible, and be sure they are always cleared of clutter to avoid trips and falls.
Safety handrails for seniors are one of the most important handrail purchases you will ever make. Be sure to check out the full selection of ADA-compliant handrails at Aluminum Handrail Direct, and consult with a senior safety expert if you need more advice.
At Aluminum Handrail Direct, we are committed to providing high-quality aluminum handrails that are durable, maintenance-free, affordable, and attractive. If you have questions about aluminum handrails or if you are searching for a handrail system that fits your needs, call us at 417-409-3179 or 888-518-9890 (toll-free) or visit Aluminum Handrail Direct’s online store today. We offer handrails, wall mounts, mounting screws and anchors, touch-up spray paint, and much more. We look forward to hearing from you!