When you’re working on a home improvement project, some of the simplest-seeming questions can have answers that might surprise you. If you’ve ever asked yourself “How many handrail brackets do I need?” when working on a handrail installation, this blog post is for you.
How Many Handrail Brackets Do I Need?
Do-it-yourself projects can have all kinds of surprises in store, especially if you’re more of an amateur than a professional. For example, have you ever had to install a handrail in your home or business? It seems relatively straightforward, but there are some key details that can be easy to miss. If you don’t know how to determine how many handrail brackets you need for the job, you may find yourself heading back and forth to the hardware store more than once. How many handrail brackets do you need for a standard installation, and how do you make sure that you’ve purchased the correct amount?
It’s a Matter of Length
Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all amount we can provide for the number of handrail brackets you need to complete an installation. That number relies on two important factors:
- Believe it or not, there are actually specific building codes related to the spacing of hand brackets for handrails. Most building codes specify that brackets should be between 36 and 48 inches apart, or about 3 or 4 feet. Be sure to check your local building codes for confirmation.
- Once you know how much space is permitted between your handrail brackets, you can determine how many you’ll need by looking at the length of your handrail and doing some quick division. You will need one bracket at the beginning of the handrail and one at the end. You will need evenly spaced brackets between these brackets to affix the handrail to the wall.
Using this method, it’s easy to figure out how many handrail brackets you’ll need by dividing the length of the railing into the required spacing for handrail brackets. If you have a railing that is 12 feet long, and handrail brackets are required to be spaced every 3 feet, you will need 4 hand brackets total. Simple, right?
Helpful Handrail Bracket Tips
This simple math equation can help you determine how many handrail brackets you need to complete your installation. Here are a few more tips from the experts on how to make sure you get the right equipment for your project:
- As with any home improvement project, measuring is extremely important to this process. Keep in mind that handrails need to be at least 36 inches in height to comply with many building codes, and there are typically rules around other aspects of handrail installation as well. All of these factors could determine how many brackets you need, so do your research and measure everything carefully before you purchase any materials.
- It’s important to remember that your handrail brackets will work best if they are attached to wall studs. Before you settle on your number of brackets, find where your studs are located and use that information to modify spacing if needed. If studs are not available, a heavy-duty drywall anchor can do the job.
- If you don’t want to risk buying the wrong number of brackets, consider purchasing a handrail kit. It will contain all of the hardware you need – no guesswork required!
Are you ready to purchase some handrail brackets? Check out the selection at Aluminum Handrail Direct. If you have more questions, get in touch!
At Aluminum Handrail Direct, we are committed to providing high-quality aluminum handrails that are durable, maintenance-free, affordable, and attractive. If you have questions about aluminum handrails or if you are searching for a handrail system that fits your needs, call us at 417-409-3179 or 888-518-9890 (toll-free) or visit Aluminum Handrail Direct’s online store today. We offer handrails, wall mounts, mounting screws and anchors, touch-up spray paint, and much more. We look forward to hearing from you!