Aluminum handrails are known for being extremely durable. But how durable are they compared to other materials, and how much life can you expect to get out of them once installed? How long do aluminum handrails last?
How Long Do Aluminum Handrails Last?
Handrails serve a vital purpose wherever they’re installed. Not only are they essential safety equipment for seniors and those with disabilities, but they provide stability and comfort to everyone who enters your home or business. A handrail that will go the distance is essential, which is why many people invest in aluminum railing systems. But how long do aluminum handrails last?
Comparing Handrail Materials
To understand why aluminum is considered a hardy handrail material, compare it to other materials on the market. When you look at the way aluminum performs compared to the alternatives, it’s easy to see why it’s so many people’s first choice:
- Vinyl handrails can last for years, but only if they aren’t affected by weather conditions or temperature fluctuations. Vinyl is susceptible to heat and cold, meaning that temperature changes can result in severe deterioration in just a few years. Meanwhile, aluminum is resistant to temperature and weather conditions, so its lifespan will not be affected.
- Wooden railings can also last for decades but require significant maintenance to stay in good shape. Wood is susceptible to water damage and rotting as well as weather damage. Wood railings must typically be painted and potentially re-treated every few years to stay functional. On the other hand, an aluminum railing requires no more maintenance than an occasional wipe-down.
- Steel railings have a lot of staying power, as they are incredibly sturdy. However, the sturdiness of steel also makes it more challenging to work with, meaning that quality steel railings can be extremely expensive to install and maintain. In addition, steel will quickly rust if it is not maintained correctly. Aluminum handrails naturally resist rust, and because aluminum is an accessible material to work with, maintenance and repairs are a snap.
Considering all the facts, it’s easy to see why aluminum comes out on top. A quality aluminum handrail that is correctly installed can give you up to 20 years of hassle-free service!
How Can I Extend My Aluminum Handrail’s Lifespan?
One of the best things about aluminum handrails is that they don’t require much work from a home or business owner. However, once you invest in an aluminum handrail, it’s a good idea to take steps to maintain it properly:
- Be sure to review the manual and any other materials with your handrail before installation. They’ll provide specialized guidance on installation and maintenance.
- Schedule a time each year to inspect your aluminum handrails. Be sure to check the hardware that installs them to the wall or other attachment points for signs of damage. It’s also a good idea to look for areas needing aesthetic touch-ups or deep cleaning.
- Once a week, wipe down your aluminum handrails with a soft cloth to remove dirt and fingerprints. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for other cleaning tips.
How long do aluminum handrails last? If they’re correctly maintained, you’ll get at least 20 years of service from them. Why not buy one and see for yourself?
Now that you’ve explored the benefits of aluminum handrails, are you looking for an expert who can walk you through purchasing and caring for an exterior aluminum railing? At Aluminum Handrail Direct, we are committed to providing high-quality aluminum handrails that are durable, maintenance-free, affordable, and attractive. If you have questions about aluminum handrails or are searching for a handrail system that fits your needs, call us at 417-409-3179 or visit Aluminum Handrail Direct’s online store today. We offer handrails, wall mounts, mounting screws and anchors, touch-up spray paint, and more. We look forward to hearing from you!